• Failing to Stop/Report an Accident

Under s170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 there are legal obligations on drivers to provide full details if involved in a situation where damage has been caused to another person or their property. The law states that you must supply your name, address and identification mark of the vehicle.

If there is no exchange of details then the accident must be reported to the police within a reasonable time-frame and within 24 hours in any event.

This offence carries a prison sentence and the police may want to speak to you about it under caution. In this case you are entitled to a solicitor being present and it is advisable to take one with you.

There are various reasons why someone may not stop or fail to report an accident. It may be you were not aware of an accident occurring or that you had caused damage or injury. You may have stopped at the scene but not been able to exchange details for some good reason – or you may not have even been the driver at the time.

If this applies to you or you have a question about your case, please call.

Key stages for a guilty plea

We will meet with you, consider the evidence and advise on the likely sentence and then represent you at court. We will then discuss the outcome with you after the case.
The fee will not include obtaining expert or other witness statements to assist your case, advice and assistance on a special reasons or exceptional hardship hearing or advice on an appeal.

How much will it cost?

Costs will vary depending upon the circumstances of your case but typically the fees will range from £500 to £900 + VAT depending on the circumstances and where the case will be heard and we will discuss this with you when you first come to see us. Timescales will again depend on the facts of the case and when your case is listed with the court. Typically it will take between 2 and 6 months to complete dependent upon when the case is listed by the court. You should be aware that legal aid is not generally available for motoring offences, unless they are of the more serious kind.

For more information about how we could help you, please get in touch below.